That's how you could explain my dinner with the sister missionaries.
Church was good today. Primary was fun. Sr. Primary was really good and I got chills a couple of times when they sang.
But I got a little overwhelmed this afternoon.
Dishes piled high from breakfast and lunch, laundry still undone, kid's bedrooms a disaster. I felt a little overwhelmed.
And we had scheduled the sister missionaries for dinner.
My children were fighting. Attitude was high!
I was out of an ingredient I needed for my regular recipe for cornbread so I tried a new one.
Well....
The chili beans were underdone (I realized I didn't let them sit after I boiled them!)
The corn bread burnt!
My Kids were fighting over who got to mix the lemonade (in front of the sister missionaries.
And it all put me over the edge.
I was devastated.
So I told the sister missionaries, "If you promise to eat it, I promise not to cry."
Well, I cried. I laughed hysterically and I snorted. I'm sure I was a real treat.
It was an interesting dinner.
My kids quoted Nacho Libre the whole time and all I could think of was "this is the worst lunch I have ever had!"
Wow!
That says it all.
The sisters were very gracious, and we made them promise to come back again, so I could redeem myself.
I wish I could say we changed names to protect the innocent, but really it was just all me!
5 comments:
Aw, sweet sister! I wish I could have been there to help, but know that even if the sister missionaries didn't understand what you were going through today, they someday will. And they'll look back and think, how in the world did she not break out and scream? Good luck! Love you!
I understand all to well how you were feeling! I have those days more often than I would like! You are amazing and I am sure your food was just fine. I miss seeing your beautiful smiling face!
Nothing like the adversary making his presence known LOUD and CLEAR. I think sometimes we try hard to impress the missionaries or anyone for that matter when they come over, when what they need is to "see it like it is". Life is certainly not perfect, and they'll probably look back with fond memories on their wonderful visit to the McNeill's, especially when they feed the missionaries when they have kids. :)
Recently when we fed the missionaries, McKay kept saying really loudly I don't like the missionaries here, I wish they'd go away, I was really embarrassed, then that night he prayed for them. Go Figure.
Love Ya Sweetie and Hang in There!!
You poor thing! That sounds awful! We've all been there though. And those sister missionaries will have days like that themselves one day.
Is it bad that I chuckled? :) I love it when you post these stories because I can practically hear your voice telling me the story...
Oh, I wish I could say that I had never had moments like that but my children turn into these weird alien beings whenever we have guests over for dinner!
Post a Comment