.jpg)
This is an email I sent to Grandma Minson
This week it was confirmed that she has stage 4 lung cancer. She is an amazing woman, she has already overcome 2 cancers. She is an intergral part of my life. In many ways I am like her and I am grateful for that.
I am grateful that my grandparents are living across the street from my parents and for the blessing it is to have been so close to my grandparents growing up.
I trully have been blessed by their faith and example. I love you grandma.
I thought you would like to know that my Rachel (3) loves me to read from the book of Mormon to her every night. Not story books, scriptures. She gets very upset if we miss a night. Abby (6) and Rachel share a room and it delights me to read to them nightly. I am so grateful for a love of the scriptures and want to pass that hunger on to my children. Grandma, last night I was remembering many fond memories of being in your home, the Woodland Hills home, where I can remember playing in the fort, getting Red cups out of the cupboard, eating sprouts, going into the converted garage room. I even remember having Christmas eve in the front room. And then there was the house in Thousand Oaks. The big beautiful mirror at the bottom of the stairs. (you know you're a Minson, if you have a mirror in every room, I DO!) Being introduced to Jack Weyland books, loving them, bawling my eyes out in the upstairs room. Listening to Lynette do her monologue in your bedroom. Walking through your garden (the smell of tomato plants always reminds me of you.) Swimming in the pool. Running into the screen door, OOPS! The room above the garage. Going shopping together and buying LA Gear shoes. Listening to books on tape. Playing computer in the office. Learning songs on your piano. Eating your homemade granola in Yosemite. Being invited into your trailer. Eating in the kitchen. I always loved that you would buy the half gallon size of milk. I love to buy them still, they remind me of you. Then the house in Gilbert. Staying overnight during high school. You made me fried tomatoes. YUM! More reading. Playing games, making copies on your copy machine. I even remember when you moved in and helping unpack and put things away in the kitchen. I loved emailing you while I was in college and you were on your first mission. I remember going to the Tomato Shack when you first got back and you met my Jacob, just a tiny baby. Then your second mission and I was pregnant with Abby. I would email grandpa late at night when neither of us could sleep. All the camping trips and trips to the beach, Oh the beach house in Carlsbad, that was so fun. The weekend at Christine's. What a fabulous weekend all of us girls, enjoying one another and loving every minute. Making quilts, eating at Taco Bell, The Fish place, reading The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands. Laying by the pool and getting TAN. Walking on the beach. I remember standing in the airport a rather "sophisticated" woman scoffing at our book choice. And you, you just loved her, and I was so impressed. I've always been so impressed with how much good you see in people. And it's so sincere. Oh there are thousands of memories. You so often share your testimony and your desire for your children and grandchildren and great grandchildren to have a love for the gospel. What a marvelous example you are. We are praying for you. Obviously there are some tough times ahead. I know you are strong. I know you are amazing. I am so proud to be your granddaughter. I am so grateful for your example. I am so thankful for your teachings, both in word and by example. You have sacrificed much for your family. You diligently serve. You glorify your Father in Heaven with your good works. As I am writing this I am listening to the BYU instrumental radio. And the song playing is I Know That My Redeemer Lives. And trully He Does! How grateful I am to know this and to have been strengthened by your testimony. I treasure the time you will have left here with us. Whether that is for an extended period (which is my hope!!) or just a short while. I have faith that the Lord can heal you, but like Shadrack, Meeshack, and Abednigo (SP?), "but if not, we will still have faith."
I love you so much!
Love
Melissa
I love you so much!
Love
Melissa
6 comments:
I am so sorry to hear about Grandma Minson. She will be in my prayers.
Now, for the blog background...go to this website & it tells you step by step how to do it:
http://www.thecutestblogontheblock.com/blog-secrets/144-how-to-make-your-own-background
Sorry about you Grandma Melissa. You do sound a ton like her! You're both amamzing women!
What a sweet post. Even though I don't have the same memories, I have had wonderful grandmas! Aren't they the best?! I couldn't imagine a world without grandmas and someday it will be our turn! Like you said, I hope she will be around a long time still.
I love every Minson I've ever met! :) I'll add Grandma to my prayers...this was a beautiful post...
Happy Birthday!!! Welcome to the Thirty, Flirty, & Thriving Club :)
Melissa, so sorry to hear about your Grandma! What a thoughtful gift to her.
Post a Comment