Monday, May 20, 2013

Summer science

So what are we going to Do with these great Encyclopedias. Well, I recently purchased Apologia Exploring Creation with Land Animals. And Rachel and Abby are beside themselves waiting to get started! So we plan to learn all about land animals this summer. We bought the accompanying notebooking journals. I am really liking Notebooking. I like that it encourages my children to take notes while we read, and then they work on comprehension and being able to retell me what they have learned. The Apologia notebooks also come with stickers and full color mini books on the different types of animals.

I have given myself permission. Permission to slow down. We are not required to finish an entire book just because. We can take a history book or our language lessons and slow down. Read a book for English on Horses and then spend a week learning all about horses, visiting a neighbor with a horse, etc. Sometimes I set myself on a frantic pace and feel like I have to get it all in, and then in the end I feel we have missed so much. So we are slowing down. I found some great Notebook and Lapbook units on www.homeschoolshare.com. I plan to take time to learn in depth about knights and castles, and Robin Hood, And Queen Elizabeth. I plan to read lots and lots of books with my children. So what if we only get thru half the history book, if we REALLY learn the history.


Camouflage Experiment with MnM's
What Color Will I find the most of? Does it really matter since I am going to eat them all anyway?



Rachel's Water Wheel Experiment. She LOVED IT!
It's one of the reasons we are doing Science in the summer. The girls didn't want to wait until August to start their new books, so why wait? They are interested now. Great!

No comments: