Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Homeschool and the Grand Canyon

This morning we made Fossils. We are learning about Rocks in science, and recently we learned that fossils can only be found in Sedimentary rock. So we made salt dough, put impressions in them and then baked them, (for a really long time, I um, Kinda forgot they were in the oven. OOPS!) They turned out awesome! They turned brown and super hard (due to the extended time in the oven.)We talked about how the salt dough, like sedimentary rock is mold able.And the oven, like time and pressure, make the rock/dough harden and the impression is left behind forever in the rock. Now before you start to think too good of me, I've been meaning to do this for over a week and a half. And finally just made it happen this morning.
I've been exercising and one of the ladies there asked me what Math I was using for home school. Math U See by the way. However, I didn't choose my Math program just because I liked what it taught. And although some of my children love it, others could care less either way. One of the big things for me is that it is USER FRIENDLY. I'm learning better what works for me. As a mom I only have so much time for each child, I can only be in so many places at once, and I only have so much time. So I am learning (like the rest of the moms out there) thru trial and error, and fabulous suggestions from friends, things that help me teach and give me more time.
I'm not a big testing mom. I don't give lots of tests to see where my kids are. Mostly because I sit next to them as they do their work, so why do I need a grade on a test to tell me. I already know if they need more practice. I don't know if that's good or bad, it's just how I do it.
So the other question I get ALL the TIME is "Do you like Homeschool? Or How's it going?" And these are sometimes hard questions to answer. It's like Hiking the Grand Canyon. Is it fun? Well yes, in some ways it is. The company is fun. The stairs all the way down and all the way up, maybe not so much. Do you love it? When I'm done I do! The last three miles when I feel like I am going to die and my legs are giving out underneath me, when all I can do is hold on until the next marker, well, maybe I don't love it at that moment. But! When I reach the top and I think, I did that. I accomplished that. I MADE IT. THEN, then, I love it, and I am grateful for all the hard work that went into it. Of course, there are breathtaking moments along the way. Small beauty in the bloom of a cactus, or the gorgeous purple blooming trees. I think homeschool is the same way. There are days when I wonder if I am really getting thru, when all I hear is whining. And there are days when it all clicks and they understand, when THEY feel that accomplishment, those "I did it" moments. Those are celebratory days and moments.

No comments: