So this weekend I decided it was time to see if David was up for ditching the diapers.
I am a firm believer that potty training is best and EASIEST if you wait until they are almost past ready.
Why? Because I didn't want to "train" me. Going potty every 15 minutes takes too much time. And usually meets with lots of accidents. Remember I worked in the Toddler room at a Child Care Center. Lots of parents are ready and toddlers are not interested. It makes both parties frustrated and takes so much longer. I've tried it that way. I'm lazy. I want it to be child motivated, not mother motivated.
So, I wanted to see if David was interested, that's all.
We went to Walmart. Bought Thomas the Train Underwear (I had to pry them from his hands to purchase them...this was a good sign.), One package of Pull Ups (just in case for when we needed to leave home.), and chocolate chips (for bribing...uhh rewarding...yes I bribe/reward my kids with a small treat for going to the bathroom.)
So the next morning we busted out with the underwear. It took the morning for him to get the hang of it. We went thru all 8 pairs of underwear. But every time he peed we cleaned it up together. I praised him for peeing...yes TMI, and we would go try to "go" in the potty, and then reminded him if he peed in the potty he could have a chocolate chip. He finally got it by lunch time. Then of course I had to put a diaper on for nap time. I washed all his underwear while he was asleep and when he got up we went to the potty and put underwear back on. He did great the rest of the afternoon and evening and threw a ginormous 2 year old tantrum at bed time when I wanted to put a diaper on him.
He loves going to the potty. He takes himself. knows to wipe off the toilet seat, and slime his hands afterwards.
It took a lot of coaxing to get a pull up on for church today. He even told me he needed to go during church. 2 times and kept his pull up dry during nursery.
I don't usually ask him (unless we are headed out somewhere and I would like to do a little preventative maintenance...I don't like public bathrooms.) I prefer that they ask, like I said, child motivated. Makes for a lot less accidents.
He is really getting it, and going potty in the toilet is exciting for him.
I am so excited!!!! This could mean the end of diapers for us. Hallelujah!
But if he decides he wants to go back to diapers...we will.
Rachel decided she wanted to go back, so we did...no fights, no worries. And two weeks later she was ready. She asked for her panties and never went back. No accidents, no frustration.
This could be the beginning of the end of diapers for us. And I have to say I am almost giddy!
1 comment:
I am a little jealous! My girl was easy, I waited a long time too, she pretty much sat herself on the toilet and went before I realized okay it's time. I am a little nervous about my boy though. Heard boys are so much harder.You give me hope though!
Post a Comment