Now don't start singing Fiddler on the Roof just yet.
The LDS General Conference is always a special time for me. Now if I could just make it special for my children.
So, this year we tried hard to prepare our children. Starting in the begining of September we began reading in the Book Of Mosiah about King Benjamin speaking to his people from the temple. We talked of prophets and why they are important. I made up a general authority picture Memory game. We printed out bingo cards for conference. We set up a tent in our living room so our children could be like the people of King Benjamin and sit in their tent while they listened to the prophet. They Licked Jaw breakers (thank you Rhonda! they loved them) while they played conference Bingo.
And for about an hour they were totally engaged. Too bad Conference is 8 hours!~
We did get them to listen and learn. But of course they got restless and picked at each other and talked during talks, and chased each other thru the house.
But I do believe they learned some things. The talks they did listen to, they were really listening. And the talks in which they didn't and my attention was distracted I can listen to during the week online while they are at school.
So I think we will make the tent, and the jaw breakers, and bingo a Conference weekend tradition.
And of course we had to indulge in a tradition my mom started long ago, Cinnamon Rolls. My mom always made cinnamon rolls conference weekend. Helps keep you awake during the afternoon sessions. And of course they taste FABULOUS! So today we made cinnamon rolls and I know that's a tradition I will try to keep every conference.
3 comments:
I love your mom's cinnamon rolls! And your kids are not the only kids that can handle about 1 hour with some good game or entertainment to keep them engaged....good mom!
What a fun tradition to start! They will look back on that as teens and adults and recognize how important conference is to their parents by the effort you put in to make it worthwhile for them. I will definitely try it when Carter gets older.
That is so good to get them started early!! Our boys made it through the first hour on Sunday morning and President Monsons talk, so I guess we all have to start somewhere ha ha. And Cinnamon rolls sounds like a great conference tradition!! YUMMY!!
Post a Comment