Sunday, May 2, 2010

Stake Conference Adventures

This weekend was stake conference. I love stake conference (the part I get to listen to anyway!) Winslow and I attended the adult session saturday night. I was very impressed by the messages given.

Dare to Do Right. Do you remember this song. Sing along. Dare to be true. You have a work that no other can do. ...Dare, dare, dare to be true!

Remember the story of David and Goliath. David a small shepherd boy had enough courage and faith to face a giant and slay him, when no one else would. And yet, later on in life he let a small moment of lust destroy his life. He forgot to be TRUE. He forgot to Dare to Do RIGHT. It is in the small things that we do day to day that make us who we are. If we fail to do the small things right, we will certainly fail in the big things.

Personal and Family prayers, morning and night. Scripture study. Family Home Evening. These are the things that will fortify our homes.

Are we teaching our children? Do they know to what source to look for a remission of their sins?

A counselor in our stake presidency talked of Amelia Earhart. On her historic voyage she made the mistake of lightening her load by leaving behind her Morse code transmitter. She thought surely she would have no problem sending and receiving radio transmissions. But sure enough there were problems and although the radio towers could hear her, She could not hear them.
He also talked of how ducks migrate. Usually the male duck leaves approximately a month prior to the female to prepare a nest. She then flies over a thousand miles and finds the exact spot of her mate, using the sun and night sky to guide her.
What are we using as a guide? Are we using the light of Christ in our lives to guide us? Do we do the simple things which will bring us safely home, or are we leaving important tools behind, neglecting them?  (Please note I was wrestling with a rowdy almost 2 year old so if I missed some exact details I am simply relating the impressions I felt!)

So many good insights. I am grateful for inspired leadership. I am grateful for the gospel to lead me home.

So one of our adventures of stake conference was how LONG we were there. In order to limit the stress of trying to wrestle our children, we timed our arrival at stake conference to about 5 minutes prior to start time...or so we thought. We got there an hour early!!! So Winslow played with the younger kids in the nursery room and Jacob and I saved seats. We got the first row of chairs in the cultural hall. It's so hard to have quiet when your in the chairs. We made it 3/4 of the way thru before we were totally in the hall.

The other adventure has been the SNOW!!!! 3 inches in MAY!!! Kinda crazy. Although I will take the snow over the 60mph winds we had this week. SO ready for some warm weather.

1 comment:

Holly said...

It was a great conference! We are ready for warmer weather too, how crazy!