Friday, January 22, 2010

One of the 7 Wonders of the World

The hike started early (well before dawn) as recommended by park publications. About 2 feet of snow near the Bright Angel trailhead. I was the first one (beside the bobcat which lift tracks) on the trail Jan. 21 2010!
Somewhat fuzzy picture due to low light and lack of tripod (even the light ones might be too much weight for a serious hike)

Descending the canyon wall the snow started giving way to slush and mud.



Less slush and more mud.



Nearing Indian Gardens.





It reminded me of a rainy morning in Southern AZ.



This picture overlooks Jacobs ladder on our way back out. It is a strenuous portion of the trail.




Another hour of hiking gave way to snow. This Oak is having a hard time figuring out what time of year it is.




Bishop had poked his hiking pole into the snow to see how deep it was, we estimate this at nearly 3 feet.




People die of heat exhaustion and dehydration every year in the Grand Canyon. That was a little hard to imagine on a day like this.


Spectacular!

I really like the new camera!

This might be my favorite photo of the day. I let Bishop walk out ahead and caught this picture of him from about 100 yards back.


He said he didn't want to wear either of the 2 beanies he had packed. We really were warm hiking back out. I had to shed a heavier outer layer towards the bottom of the hike.


The end of a wonderful hike and an unforgettable experience! All we had to do now was make it home!



This week...YES THIS WEEK with all the SNOWthat has been falling. My husband and our Bishop decided to go hiking in the Grand Canyon. I thought they were a little crazy. I also got a little stressed that he might get stuck in the Grand Canyon and have to build himself a snow cave and sleep in it. Winslow had no such worries. I said a lot of prayers (so did his mother I am sure!) and watched him leave on his crazy adventure!




I am going to let him narrate his pictures. He took a lot of Super Awesome pictures with our Camera I got for Christmas. (This is the camera we upgraded to when the 1st camera we bought on Black Friday turned out NOT to be in the BOX!)














No comments: