So I have a question? Why is it that the schools don't give out supply lists BEFORE we start school. Everything is on sale now, and I probably won't even know what my kids need until after school has started. So Frustrating!
We did buy new backpacks this year. Last years were looking ratty. (We hadn't actually bought new ones in like 2 years.) So when I found I could buy them at children's place for under $10 a piece I was so there.
Then I found 1st day of school clothes for the older three (Rachel is only 3 but she is starting with new teachers at preschool at the childcare center, so I thought she would like it.) all of them for under $10 for the whole outfit. And they are such cute clothes!!! Can't wait to post pics of them. We have forgone the whole new wardrobe bit. It will be cold by the end of september. So I figured there was no point buying a whole bunch of summer clothes for 2 months. Plus Abby and Rachel have birthdays in the fall, so it's really overkill. So I will keep watching the internet for smokin deals and just stocking up.
We've also decided to pair way down on Christmas. We are excited to have it at home again this year. I really never thought I would want to have it at home, but I do like it. So I am trying to get good deals now on things I can stash away...like school supplies.
Other ways we are saving money...
- Still no tv...we have netflix but $16 a month is so much cheaper than satelitte (no basic channels, we are too far from big city living)
- No Cell Phones...Gasp I know, but really there are only a few times when I really miss it. I can't have one at work, Winslow has a direct extention to his office, and we just plan ahead better to compensate. (although there are days when I would like one.) besides I can't text to save my life.
- Square Foot Gardening...takes less space, time, and WATER (which is crazy expensive here)
- Buy everything in CASH...this is hard because I really really want to add on to the house, but Winslow keeps reminding me we have to pay off any debt first and then we can build the addition. Good incentive.
- Coupons...I so have a hard time cutting coupons, but I am trying to be better and save more money at the grocery store. Which is where the bulk of our $ goes. These kids eat me out of house and home~
- Limiting fast food...we've really stressed this with our kids. Jacob loves to know how much I have saved. We still buy fun foods, but at the store. Bag of Meatballs...$6 3 pkgs of Kaiser Rolls....$9 Bag of shredded cheese....$3, Hunts spaghetti sauce...$1 Meatball subs at safeway for 19.....apx$60, My way.....$19. We do the same thing with corn dogs or chicken nuggets for a fun meal thats way cheaper than stopping at Sonic.
What's your favorite school supply?
How do you save $?
6 comments:
These are all such good ideas! One way I save money is by teaching my own kids piano lessons. I feel like they are still involved in an extra-curricular activity and are developing their talents, without having to pay for lessons. The girls used to dance. But, when we were cutting things out of the budget, we decided that dance lessons weren't a necessity and I started teaching them piano lessons instead. It works pretty well...for the most part :)
Love your ideas! I have taken up canning! Jason's co-worker just let us come pick all the apricots we wanted and some cherries! Save us so much money in fruit! Our ward has done enrichments with jam and canning which have been a great help! Jason and I case out b-days and x-mas all year too. We hit the big yearly blow-out sales and anniversary sales! It's helps us to budget out gifts a bit each month so it doesn't hit us all at x-mas! And we've really been taking to yard sales and second hand stores for our kids stuff! I also love to rearrange furniture and hit the dollar store for baskets to give a room a face lift w/ no real expense. We too are trying to stop eating out at all and I've found some really fun new 30 min and freezer meal cookbooks that have really helped making the cooking less stressful so more meals get made! I love the Utah case lot sales on food! But in Arizona we hit Sam's club every 3 months and saved budgeting food in bulk. Just a few ideas that have helped us!
I have really tried to crack down on the coupon thing and only shopping the sales for groceries etc. to save money.
We also have been cutting way back on the fast food and dining out in general. I just make a meal plan for a week or two and then do my shopping list off of that. I think that for some reason food is probably the #1 issue with spending too much, for almost everyone!!!!
Good job on finding such great deals!! I always love to find a good deal.
Hey Melissa,
Love this post. We save money because I am a HUGE fan of second-hand stores, craigslist and yard sales for my boys' clothes and shoes. I recently bought 11 pairs of Old Navy jeans in excellent, barely used condition (in different sizes even) for $20. A lady was trying to get rid of them quickly on Craigslist so she could buy her son some school shoes. I also have yard sales a few times per year to recoop a little bit.
We shop at Sam's Club or Costco for snack-type foods and put them into snack-size baggies ourselves. Perfect for lunches, running errands, etc.
We make a list of all the big items we need, along with the ones that we want. Having them written down in front of us keeps us working towards our goals and stops us from spending on a whim.
We direct deposit into our savings accounts each payday so we never see the money. Any raise or bonus in the past 9 years has gone towards debt or savings (depending on the situation we're in). We try hard not to change our standard of living if our income changes for the better.
Last of all, we love to camp!! So much cheaper than many other vacations. Works well when you have all little boys!
great post! love the thoughts....I do second hand for almost all my kids clothes....and coupons...but I think you're already doing all of this!
Wow these are all really great ideas. I know that we are all having hard times, so I always appreciate when I can find good ways to pinch pennies and save money. We have been doing the coupon thing, its a little hard for me being not so organized, but working on it.
Post a Comment