Maybe I will grow up to be like Daddy!
Did you ever know that Real Stethescopes hurt when you put them in your ears. At least ours does.
Okay, so many of you have experienced this lately, and many of my friends have gone thru it in recent weeks. In fact I saw two friends in the pharmacy line for the exact same thing. So I guess it is our turn, but never fun.
David has had a cough since Monday, and last night it got worse, and then when he woke up from his morning nap it was definitely progressing. So I busted out with Winslow's stethoscope and listened to his lungs. I found a wheeze in his lower lungs. So I called to make him an appointment, and called Winslow to see if he would listen when he got home for lunch. So Winslow listened and after I pointed out that what I heard was in the lower part of the lungs, he heard it too. He said it sounded like Bronchiolitis. So we got David a Dr's appointment for this afternoon, and I called in to work. The nurse checked David out, but didn't hear what I heard. (Winslow says that's cause on Pediatric patients, the noises can be subtle until they get really bad.) Then the doctor came in, and sure enough found noises in his Lower Left Lung. I felt affirmed at my Dr. Mom diagnosis. The Dr.'s official Diagnosis is PNEUMONIA. Thankfully David's oxygen stats are still good. (thanks to catching it early on.) So we are doing albueterol treatments at home and Rx. As long as he stays doing well (I say well, he sounds cruddy) but as long as his breathing, cough, wheezing, etc doesn't get worse, we'll be able to treat him at home. Oh, and in the nurse's defense, David sounded the best he had all day at the Dr's office. Of course an hour later you could definitely hear the wheeze. Isn't it always that way though. The kid could be hacking up a lung at home and lethargic, take them to the doctors and they run around and sound fine. I am thankful for the feelings I had today that I should take David in to the dr.'s. I've started sanitizing the house and have already cleaned David's crib, bedding, changing table, etc. Hopefully we will squish the germs early on.
David isn't liking the Breathing Treatments so much.
Update 2/12/09 David's lungs now sound worse, but he still seems to be breathing okay. We will see the doctor on Friday for another checkup. I am also very grateful for my husband and his education. It's nice to be able to have him check out the kids.
2 comments:
poor baby! Thank goodness you caught it so early! Take care of that little man!
Ewwww! Breathing treaments! We are oh-so-familiar with THOSE. My oldest has to do it daily to prevent constant croup, and just this winter my littlest was doing them when he got RSV. He also didn't appreciate doing them like David. I'm glad to hear in your most recent post that he is doing better. Being a mom is tough when you have sick kids. Hopefully, you'll be able to get some rest and get over your own bug soon. way to go with your diagnosis Dr mom!!!!!
Post a Comment