Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The Big E on the Eye Chart

Okay, so I am blind, really blind, and I know it. Even the big E on the eye chart is fuzzy without my glasses. But I can see it. Even when I can’t see any other letters I can see the E. Sometimes I think the Lord puts a big E in front of my face so that I can’t miss the lesson He is giving me. I have been praying a lot about my job. The hours that I normally work have increased and the timing isn’t as good for me now as it was when I first started. So I have been praying for the Lord to guide me in my decisions and in my job. We would really like to pay off our debt and put a small addition on our 900 sq ft home. And I want to be able to spend more time with my kids.
So here comes the big E.
Just last week I was reading my scriptures and the verse I came across hit me strongly (I didn’t even know this verse was even in there before!)
“Wherefore, do not spend money for that which is of no worth, nor your labor for that which cannot satisfy. Hearken diligently unto me, and remember the words which I have spoken; and come unto the Holy One of Israel, and feast upon that which perisheth not, neither can be corrupted” (2 Nephi 9:51).
Okay maybe I’ll take all of my tax return and put it towards, debt, home, and savings, instead of buying chairs for my kitchen table!
Then on Sunday the song was Count Your Many Blessings
“When you look at others with their lands and gold, think that God has promised you his wealth untold…”

Okay are you beginning to see the big E!
And then today I came home from work and busted out with my Ensign from May which has all the talks from General Conference. The first talk I started reading was Becoming Provident Providers by Elder Hales. WOW!
“Our world is fraught with feelings of entitlement. Some of us feel embarrassed, ashamed, less worthwhile if our family does not have everything the neighbors have. As a result we go into debt to buy things we can’t afford—and things we do not really need.”
We have been good with our debt. The debt we have is from things the prophet has said may be necessary in order to provide for a family. HOWEVER> certainly I could pay it off faster if I didn’t feel the need to buy things just because I Want To. Do I NEED to have paint in every room of my house, no. Do I Need to have matching outfits every fourth of July, no. Do I Need to have matching chairs for my kitchen table (currently we still use folding chairs! That are 3 different kinds!), no. I want them, not need them. Can I have them….Yes, I just don’t have to have them NOW. Later. Save, spend wisely, and recognize how to distinguish between buying it just because I can, and buying it because it’s necessary.

I often wish I had my life in order, NOW, mostly because I think everyone else does. But honestly, most people are just like me. They have dishes to wash, babies to hold, stories to read, families to love.

So, I will try more diligently to count my many blessings, to find happiness in what I do have, and remembering delayed gratification!

13 comments:

Rushele said...

I'd have to say that you're very good at recognizing the things that are there to prompt you!
And those are all VERY good reminders to us all! It is far too easy to be excited about the things we want and to forget that we don't need it.
So, what is the verdict on your job? You doing to stay or go?
Good luck!!

Melissa said...

Staying, for now. But my priorities are different. I feel more in focus if that makes sense. Because trully we do need to get out of debt. Even though it's not frivolous debt, I have felt very strongly that this is important for our family for the right now time. And I know that the Lord will continue to lead me where He wants me to go.

Melissa said...

And yes please invite me to your blog Rushele!

The Burtons said...

Melissa thanks for this post! I needed to see the big picture right now.

Marie said...

Well, your post is exactly what I needed to hear! I was feeling down yesterday about my debt & how much I hate being in debt & how I feel like I will never get it paid off. I know that I need to be more frugal & your post just confirmed to me that I need to be more conscious of what I am spending my hard earned money on. Wants or needs?!
Thanks!!!

Travis and Marie said...

Melissa, you guys are amazing...I am so impressed that you are working so hard to pay off all your debt. But you are right, we are all in the same boat. I have a table that has matching chairs - but I bought it used at a second hand place and I want a different one....who cares...all you do is eat at it or play games and no one notices if the chairs match or not...that was a great post....I think majority of us are in some sort of financial crunch at the moment. it sucks.

Melissa Bosen said...

Melissa,
My mom reminds us often of the quote "Wear it out, use it up...make it do or do without". I actually might have it a little wrong. But you know which one I mean right? I think it was President McKay who said it.
Sometimes it's hard to not "compete" with those around us or to feel "entitled" to certain things. But Mike & I feel so much more content and at peace when we keep things in perspective and follow the prophet's counsel. I've learned that PEACE is much more valuable to me than posessions!!
Thank you for this post and for your example to us!

Mindy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lauren said...

Wow. Just what I needed. We've been contemplating a lot right now with the baby coming in December and you really helped me put things into perspective. There's a lot more that's more important than me having everything I want for my home right now. Thanks for the boost!

Kristal B. said...

What a great scripture! I need to write that down!

Becky said...

I have always loved that scripture, Lissa! And that talk by Elder Hales made a HUGE impact on Jeff and I. We have a lot of debt right now (and I do mean A LOT) and even though 90% of it is "legitimate" (like my last C-section was super expensive even with insurance!), we have also been feeling under a lot of pressure to get out of debt.

As we have fasted and prayed for solutions and help, I have been amazed and humbled at the way the Lord continues to open up new paths and provide a way (1 Nephi 3:7).

You are amazing and I love you, girlfriend! :)

Melissa said...

it's true. even our "legitimate" debt is there, and I think we all are trying our best and doing what we can. Each family has a different path in taking care of it. I am so grateful for the blessings of prayer and scriptures, and a living prophet!

Jamie Taylor said...

Thanks for the post. I realize I'm reading it a little late, but thanks nonetheless. It's frustrating to work full/part time, but it's nice to have a goal time that it will be paid off, and it's nice to have the reminder that some things we can do without right now!