Tuesday, August 21, 2012

The pain, the purpose, and the pay days

So yesterday was painful. Mostly because hitting your head against a table over and over again as you try to keep your children focused is not productive. Ha ha. I can laugh a little now. And no I didn't actually smack my head against the table, but it might have worked better, than what I did do, which was not at all productive. My loving husband came home just long enough during his lunch hour to let the children know they needed to behave, and by almost dinner, I thought we might survive the day.
Today was much better. There were rewards for those who had good behavior (yes somedays there is a tangible reward, like Gummy Lifesavers, because if anyone needed a good life saver it was me! And I don't mean candy!) And it helped. Mostly because I could just let it go and realize, that I could openly reward the proper behavior and give an immediate incentive for others to change. So there was less chaos. Thank heavens. But the real reward is in the questions my children are asking. Jacob and Abby are reading with me thru the Old Testament. Today's lesson was on Adam and Eve and we read Genesis Chapter 3. We used our red marking pencils and I explained footnotes and how to use them in their scriptures. We talked about the 2nd and 3rd Articles of Faith
"We believe that man will be punished for his own sins and not for Adam's transgression."
"We believe that thru the Atonement of Christ all mankind may be saved by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the gospel."
We discussed both the Atonement in the Garden of Eden and Christ's crucifixion on the cross and the role each plays in repentance and eternal life. My children asked wonderful questions and I felt like they were learning and truly studying the scriptures.
Then tonight as we were reading family scriptures in the Book of Mormon, David (4) asked "What does prosper mean?" when it was his turn to read. Oh! You're listening! YEAH! And Jacob asked about the meaning of "dwindle in unbelief." I was so pleased to hear my children asking questions and searching out answers. Then Rachel asked for a red marking pencil. "Mom I really like where it says 'Jesus Christ who shall come.' Can I mark that it my scriptures?" OF COURSE! She proceeded to read thru the rest of the page and marked a couple more lines she really liked. We have been trying to read slower (Jacob and Abby are both fantastic readers and they read quickly, Rachel is amazing for her age, but not yet lightning fast like her siblings.) Rachel has a great desire to read along as we read scriptures so we are trying to go more at her pace. What a blessing. We read only a page at a time, and sometimes less, but we end up having great discussions. Now don't be fooled their are nights of craziness in which every one is sent to bed with little accomplished other than a frustrated mother and father, but even that has it's purpose. We are building habits. We are establishing a foundation upon which they can build.
It's one of my greatest desires, that my children have a strong testimony for THEMSELVES! Not my testimony, not their friends, but their OWN. That when trials come "they may know to what source to look to...."
My children love to be read to. David knows, just as his siblings before that mom will read 3 books and then scriptures and then bed. Tonight he brought me the books out on the couch as opposed to his room, and all of my children crowded around to hear me read to them. Last night I was reading from President Monson's biography and Rachel and David both laid in my bed and asked to be read to. Jacob even came in for a while. And now he has stolen my book and is reading it. (He needs to read a biography for book club, and I am tickled that he has chosen to read President Monson's biography.)
I did take David into his room to read him scriptures and have him say prayers. Then he snuggled in his bed and asked if I would stay with him for a few minutes. Boy is that little boy hard to say no to. He has been so emotional lately. He cries every time I leave if he isn't coming with me. Breaks my heart. I am glad I will get some time to focus a little more just the two of us. I think he just needs some one on one time (which sadly hasn't been a lot the last few months. Sorry bud, we'll work on it!)
Abigail finished the Little House on the Prairie series today. She read the last 3 books in just a couple of weeks. Way to go ABBY! She loves to come and tell me what she has been reading.
Jacob is bruised and beaten, poor boy! But my is he handsome in his football uniform. He is so athletically talented. I am excited to watch him play this week.

No comments: